What do I do with all this junk (potting mix).

JoppaRich(7b)June 14, 2011

As a preface, I live in a small rowhouse,and most of my gardening is done on the balcony (5x10?) off my home office.

So, I made a whole bunch of DIY SWC's out of soda bottles, and have been growing mostly herbs and small veggies in them ( couple types of basil, catnip, and some small hot pepper plants). Some of the plants are doing great, but most of them seem to have initially grown great, and are now showing signs of water deficiency. I repotted a couple of them this weekend in 5-1-1, and their roots were in pretty tough shape. The potting mix (Which I cut some with perlite) seemed to be pretty wet.

So, to make a long story short, I have a whole bunch of plants that are going to have to eventually go into 5-1-1, and a whole lot of almost new potting soil that is simply holding too much moisture. Is there anything that can be done with this?

I have a big 18" or so pot ( I think its styro or some sort of foam), might it work in this? Any ideas? Any veggies that grow well in soil that is a bit on the wet side?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

A tomato plant can use up a lot of moisture in the heat and sun of summer as its roots grow to fill a container, so that may be an option.

I generally dispose of old potting soil and peat based messes by throwing them into my raised beds outside, but since you don't have that option, maybe you could give it to someone who composts or has gardens? A friend or relative, perhaps?

Honestly, I don't know of too many plant types that like peat based soils that tend to hold perched water... most plants prefer to dry out in a timely fashion so their roots can "breathe". I wish I could offer more suggestions...

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™