self-watering containers and PVC

molamola77June 18, 2011

I made 3 self watering containers out of plastic storage bins recently. I followed the instructions in Smith's "Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible". For the bottom spacers and wicking spacers I used PVC pipe I bought at the hardware store. Due to possible health concerns with the use of PVC in plumbing systems, should I consider the peppers, tomatoes, and carrots I am growing unsafe to eat?

Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

imo..no

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 1:17PM
yodiana

molamola77, where can I find more info on this possible health hazard? First I've heard of read of it. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 6:01PM
molamola77

Yodiana,

See this website for information about PVC and health risks.

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/vinylchl.html

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 6:27PM
Matt_Tampa(9a/9b Tampa FL)

Wikipedia has pretty good information on the various types of plastics and possible health risks associated with them. They all have their potential issues, but I believe PVC leaches chemicals at a greater rate than most of the other types, and that it is made with phthalates, which is one component of plastics that has recently come under scrutiny. Everything to do with plastics and health is highly controversial, of course, so it's pretty hard to get to the bottom of it, but I'd say that if you're concerned about it, you'd probably be a little safer going with something like a PE or PET instead of PVC, or I guess with a metal like copper or steel (not aluminum) you'd have even less to worry about.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™