planting small shrubs and perennials...maybe an annual

nj_mikeApril 24, 2012

I'm trying to come up with a plan for the front of the house. We had to have a tree taken down and the exposed roots were ground out. The front yard looks like a bomb went off. I'm going to plant grass in the fall but I want to do some landscaping near the house. I have about 3ft by 30ft area I want to work with...i may decide to make it a little bigger. I'm planning on putting border of some sort, stone or something, the filling the area with good soil. I want to plant as few small shrubs, irises, would like to plant another perennial that blooms at a different time then the iris and I was also thinking about planting small sunflowers...to ambitious? The most important parts are the small shrubs so there is something there when the flowers aren't blooming and the irises(they're my wife's favorite flower) Any ideas on what would look good together? Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
designoline6(Z6)

You really need to post some pics that show the context and situated and conditions.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 8:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karinl(BC Z8)

Mike, you so need to go to your local nurseries with your questions, and not to a national/international forum.

Visit some nurseries (ideally not big box stores, where the salespeople don't necessarily know anything and the plant selection might not be that great), take a picture with you of the area (from a bit of a distance, not just of the dirt!), and note the light condition (east facing or what have you).

The trick to shopping for plants for the whole season is to shop not just in the spring but a couple of times per year. The nurseries will usually be featuring what is in bloom just at that time. Or if you are buying it all at once, study plant tags and ask questions to find plants that are not in bloom yet when you are shopping.

All that said, you might enjoy lilies for after the irises, but if you are planting right at the house wall they will maybe lean out a bit for the light. Better in a bed that gets light from all around.

For shrubs, maybe rhododendrons for blooms before the irises get started.

Oh, and the irises will need sun, so will bloom best if your bed is either west or south facing... which would not be so good for rhododendrons. So that information is needed to make a plan.

Karin L

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
Rock landscape dilema
Hello, So I'm taking on a big project within the next...
johncharles1923
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Front yard in SC
Hi- I've been lurking around the landscape design forum...
hafamily5
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
Landscape design assistance
Hello, Our home is in Connecticut (Zone 6A) and we've...
stook1
Sponsored Products
Room Magic Zoo 4 U Hooded Towel - RM24-ZU
$36.99 | Hayneedle
Cypress Accent Table
Fifthroom.com
Small Oval Hammered Copper Watering Can
Signature Hardware
Home Decorators Area Rug: Mandarin Brown and Terra 4' 6" x 6' 6" Oval
$77.99 | Home Depot
Fine Art Lamps Marquise 850440-22ST Eight-Light Pendant
LuxeDecor