Two pepper plants in one container?

littleblu87June 15, 2010

I have two Bonnie green bell pepper plants that need planting asap. Would it be ok to plant both of them in a 10 gallon plastic container with these dimensions: 20 5/8" L x 14 1/8" W x 12 3/8" H ?

This is the container I want to plant them in - Sterilite 10 gallon tote

I would of course put holes in the bottom for drainage. But can (or should) two pepper plants be planted in that container without being overcrowded?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I think you'd be more than fine with 2, or even 3.

Al

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 2:13PM
sjkly

Yes, I have peppers planted in the same container and two is no problem-one of my containers has three and they are growing just fine.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 5:14PM
littleblu87

I went ahead and planted both plants in the same 10 gallon container. However, there seems to be something wrong with these two (green bell) pepper plants. I think that they were either root bound when they were planted or the container I planted them in is too small. They haven't grown much and the bottom leaves have a slightly yellow tint to them. My red bell pepper plant is in a container by itself and is doing very well. I did get the two pepper plants in a little late but when I planted them, they were only slightly smaller than the red bell pepper plant. They have barely grown and don't appear to be doing anything while the red bell pepper plant has gotten bigger and it has the little flowers on it. I vaguely remember that the roots were different on these two pepper plants, like they were becoming root bound, but I don't think they were. I tried looking up pictures of root bound plants, but they look the same as regular plants to me. What can I say, I'm a gardening idiot.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with these plants?

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 3:26AM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™