Please help me figure out what to plant here! (Pictures)

bellatrixApril 11, 2010

In the picture: Left of what I usually refer to as "the ugly mounds of dirt" on either side of the steps of the side-porch. I'm having a very tough time finding something that will grow there. I tried Lily of the Valley (which after researching, everyone seemed to warn that it would take over) and it seemed to do O.K., until my dog decided to lie on top of them/trample them daily. So my plan is to built up the mounds 1-2 inches with 3 year old manure (which I have in a large supply, since this is a farm house) and try the LOV again, and try and keep my dog out of it....unless someone has a better suggestion? It's shady and acidic no thanks to the pine trees. I usually put black mulchh in the rock border around the trees, since I have always been pretty sure nothing would grow that close to them.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_schreiber(z5/6 MI)

It's really hard to tell what we're seeing from this one picture. And very importantly, where are you in the 'US'? From what I can see, the problem likely is not so much shade as it is the soil.

Yes, spread the old manure, but fork it in some. Don't just spread it on top. And try the LOV again. There are other things that will probably do well there.

At this point, work on the soil, I think.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 9:57PM
alyciaadamo(3/4)

try some Hostas and Heuchera both have some very nice foliage. Also if there is sufficient sun you can plant day lilies they have tons of color so you don't have to worry about the plain old orange. all three sugestions go up to at least a zone 3(me!:) and I know of some that are in zone 1 and 2.
if you are dealing with a shade type area go to the Hosta forum there are way more suggestions for different shade tolerant plants they are nice there will suggest some flowers too. There are almost too many options to list you should probably let people know your zone so they can suggest ones to fit your zone better.

If all else fails plant some high bush or low bush blueberries they love acidic soils here in Maine it's one of the most thriving plants with all theses pines! :)
Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/hosta/

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 11:30PM
leafy02(6 Central Kentucky)

My mom has a large area of LOV and I wouldn't want one in the front of my house. They are lovely in springtime but don't look like much the rest of the year, and they show damage (like from dog traffic) more than some other choices.

You could use Sweet Woodruff (my favorite), hostas, bleeding hearts, vinca minor... there are lots of shade tolerant or shade-loving choices that will do well once the soil is less compacted.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Raised Garden Bed Construction Help
Hello Everyone! What wonderful help! I've built about...
Garden Chickee
Sponsored Products
American Drew Jessica McClintock Renaissance Dining Table - ADL4333
Hayneedle
Trellis Deluxe Garden Tools Tote
$49.99 | zulily
AHB Jensen Bar Stool - Set of 2 - 130806BLK-V01
$139.90 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Classic Royal Red/ Black Wool Runner (2'3 x 12')
Overstock.com
Jamestown Satin Pewter Twenty-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Hanover Writing Desk - MEDIUM BROWN
$1,999.00 | Horchow
Sexton Club Chair
FRONTGATE
Succulent Rosette Art Print
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™