Beans and Peas Spacing

partee875June 9, 2011

I think I may have been too ambitious in planting my beans and Peas in containers. Some are looking weak and the pole beans I planted are starting to go crispy at the end (and I am not underwatering).

My question is would it be harmful or even beneficial to cut the weaker ones off at the base to give the stronger ones a chance? It's been a little over a month since they've been planted and they are already well established and going all over my railings. Or should I just hope and pray for the best?

The size container is about 6 inches deep and 18x6. I have about 16 pole beans in there. In hindsight it probably wasn't the smartest but I'm new to growing and I'm still dumbfounded how big these plants can get!

Thanks in advance! This has been a great forum for me while attempting my roof deck garden!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

If I were you, I'd remove half of them. I grew 6 scarlet runner beans in a pot that was about 12 inches deep and 18 inches across last season. I was watering every two or three days at the height of the season. When I emptied the pot at the end of the season, it was full of roots. I grew these old fashioned pole beans more for their flowers than their beans because they attract hummingbirds. I think I would have gotten more of both if I'd had fewer plants in the pot.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Pre-watering before Fertilizing Vegetables
I have read on GardenWeb where some people (who appear...
stringz
Sponsored Products
Beans 16-Oz. Bowl Set
$16.99 | zulily
Bassett Mirror Belgian Modern Ellsworth Desk
Beyond Stores
Original FUF Chair 6 ft. Twill Bean Bag Media Lounger - Zebra - 0002001
$123.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Etna Spruce Green 9' x 13'
Home Depot
Boca Rattan Bali Loveseat with 2 Toss Cushions in Coffee Bean
Beyond Stores