Beans and Peas Spacing

partee875June 9, 2011

I think I may have been too ambitious in planting my beans and Peas in containers. Some are looking weak and the pole beans I planted are starting to go crispy at the end (and I am not underwatering).

My question is would it be harmful or even beneficial to cut the weaker ones off at the base to give the stronger ones a chance? It's been a little over a month since they've been planted and they are already well established and going all over my railings. Or should I just hope and pray for the best?

The size container is about 6 inches deep and 18x6. I have about 16 pole beans in there. In hindsight it probably wasn't the smartest but I'm new to growing and I'm still dumbfounded how big these plants can get!

Thanks in advance! This has been a great forum for me while attempting my roof deck garden!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

If I were you, I'd remove half of them. I grew 6 scarlet runner beans in a pot that was about 12 inches deep and 18 inches across last season. I was watering every two or three days at the height of the season. When I emptied the pot at the end of the season, it was full of roots. I grew these old fashioned pole beans more for their flowers than their beans because they attract hummingbirds. I think I would have gotten more of both if I'd had fewer plants in the pot.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™