need balance help/ideas

kjmama(6)April 13, 2014

We have lived in this house for almost four years now and are more than ready to help the outside. I know there are architectural challenges that could be improved, but we are just wanting to focus on planting right now. Any big picture ideas to help balance the yard and soften the house? The house faces southwest and there is a slope towards the road and the driveway. Thank you so much for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

good starter photo, but also need one from closer to show what's up with foundation hardscape, etc.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 8:56PM
kjmama(6)

Kind of embarrassing, but true

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 9:01PM
kjmama(6)

one more

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 9:03PM
yardvaark

Hey, I like that ... once you get to the top, it's okay to fall off! :-)

Later.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 9:17PM
kjmama(6)

:) not the kind of balance help I meant:)

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 3:27AM
yardvaark

deleting. pic did not come through.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 8:51

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:47AM
yardvaark

The first impression is that the house seems naked, overexposed, unprotected. "Filtering" each end of it with a mini-forest of flowering trees, framing the view a little with a street tree(s) and stabilizing the foundation with some shrubs, perennials, groundcover and a little seasonal color could help balance and finish the overall picture. Of course, the colors used in the drawing are immaterial.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 8:49AM
kjmama(6)

Thanks, this is great! What program do you use? What do you think about some evergreen shrubs in the mix?

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 12:24PM
yardvaark

MS Paint.

I think there are some evergreen shrubs in there.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 1:48PM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

When I look at the house and note the south exposure and the probably northerly location, I would really value the sunshine coming in the windows. For this reason, I would make sure trees are far enough away from the house so they would not interfere with the light. Placing an airy tree diagonally out from the right corner (as viewed in the photos) would be good. (By contrast, the evergreen conical tree is the opposite of airy, but is fine in its present location away from the house.)

Developing a garden front and center from the door with some hardscape -- paths, some partial low walls for definition, and defined beds, all low-growing massed plants, could enhance the house design by breaking up the stark contrast between house and lawn, and would give you places for benches or a birdbath, some ambience to draw you outside.

In your searches look for parterre, formal herb garden, or massed plantings. Maybe something will click for you.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:31AM
kjmama(6)

Thank you catkim. Yes, light is huge issue. The back of our house is so dark and the front light is precious. What kind of airy trees were you thinking of in this case?

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:54PM
kjmama(6)

Thank you catkim. Yes, light is huge issue. The back of our house is so dark and the front light is precious. What kind of airy trees were you thinking of in this case?

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:55PM
yardvaark

"The back of our house is so dark..." I will bet that if I saw a photo of the back yard, I'd see some tree trimming that needed to happen. Just guessing.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 8:44PM
kjmama(6)

We are next to a wild farm, not our property. But really, no shade from the trees is cast to our house. The darkness really comes from the position of the house and a porch on the back.
I really would like ideas for the placement of a larger shade tree on the front nearest to the driveway. I'd like a very light shade, as we have mentioned the light.
I also am really liking hydrangeas. Any thoughts on those as foundation plants.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™