How fine can pine bark fines be before they are too fine?

joewormJune 23, 2011

How fine can pine bark fines be before they are too fine?

How large can pine bark fines be before they are too large?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

If you are making a 511 mix, anything from dust up to 3/8" is ok.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 2:23PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

For the girtty mix (1-1-1) It's no less than 1/8", and up to 3/8" if using pine, up to 1/4" if using fir bark.

JoJo

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 2:34PM
joeworm

JoJo is the (1-1-1) a typo? Don't think I've seen mention of 1-1-1 before.

It looks like the mixes can have either very fine pine bark dust or nothing less than 1/8".

What's the difference?

Thanks

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 7:21PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Joe,
the 1-1-1 is another way of saying the Gritty mix.
It means equal parts of Grit, turface, bark.

Which mix are you planning to make? And what kind of plants ? That will help narrow down what you need.

The 5-1-1 is used for short term plantings/annuals for the most part. It's usually used for about a year.

And the gritty/1-1-1 is for long term plantings. it can be used for several years.

JoJo

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 7:33PM
joeworm

I'm trying to come up with a mix for a raised bed garden. The affordable ingredients that I have available are pine bark fines, composted yard waste from the county that has some wood chips in it, horse manure that has a lot of sand mixed in it (sand is used for the bedding)and cow manure. Any ideas on how to mix this all together and what portions to make a good soil for the raised bed?

Thanks

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 8:38PM
greentiger87

A raised bed? Raised beds are very forgiving, and the physics and biology are very different from that of containers. There are other forums that will help you out a lot more than this one.

Is the horse manure / cow manure fresh? Most kinds of manure, and especially horse manure, needs to be composted with "brown" material before it can be used by plants.. otherwise it will burn them. You can get away with small amounts mixed in.

The compost and pine bark fines are great soil amendments for raised beds, but you may want to get some cheap topsoil to form the bulk of the mix if you don't have enough to mix into.

There is an approach to raised bed gardening that uses completely new material - like mel's mix - but that will require yearly replacement and inorganic components like vermiculite. I think its kind of silly to be honest, but it obviously works in certain situations.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™