Design Ideas?

pbones72April 6, 2011

I am looking to re-plant a section in the front of my house. The whole front is looking tired but I wanted to start with this bare spot. I planted a maple tree in front of this area last year. This area faces east, zone 6 NY. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_JREb164Lhmc/TZ0JDcQzmcI/AAAAAAAAACA/-wg4ViVaMEw/s640/house%20scan0003.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_JREb164Lhmc/TZ0I7-s-WGI/AAAAAAAAACA/Le7YAC24Ka8/s640/house%20scan0002.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pbones72

Sorry. Here are the pics.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:43PM
pbones72
    Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:57PM
karinl(BC Z8)

The right side of your site is quite instructive in that it shows definitively that tall plants with this house do not flatter it nor make it look welcoming!

But within the parameter that you keep plantings lowish, I think the bed would lend itself to dozens of different planting plans, depending on what kind of a gardener you are and what kinds of plants you like. Anything from a nice arrangement of annuals, redone every year, to a selection of rhododendrons, to a variety of generic landscaping evergreens and Japanese maples to a low hedge would work, but it depends on what kind of maintenance work you want to do and what look you want.

Depends on whether you want to be lulled to sleep by the bed or punched in the eye with it when you come home :-) Whether you want to fit into a conservative neighbourhood or stand out in an avantgarde one. To such a large degree, landscaping is done for people, not for sites!

What kind of maple is that? If it's a tall one, I don't think I like the placement, at least not from the perspective of this photo. It will block the window, and for that it is too close to the house.

KarinL

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 8:32PM
pbones72

Thanks for the ideas. We definately need a full landscape/hardscape makeover.We might go with annuals for now until we do everything over. I placed the tree there to help shade the house and keep away from the power lines(utility trims trees with no regard).

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™