How to plant this design this long garden

bobby_c(z7 DC)April 17, 2011

I'm not the best at garden design and this one has me wondering what to do. I have an enclosed bed - about 4' wide by 25' long. I want to plant a bunch of irises, lillies and some smaller annuals. My question is - should I just plant in rows (for example one long row of theh taller lillies, with shorter plants in front or should I clumb/group mixes of these? Not sure the best approach...

Thanks,

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Generally speaking, avoid rows. It usually looks better to have a group (or "drift") of the same plant together. When planting multiples in the same area, odd numbers look better than even numbers.

That said, when I have a large plant like a gaura (I didn't believe the tag when it said that single little plant was going to get 24-30" wide in the course of the summer), I do use just one.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 10:04PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Drifts of plants that overlap side by side, longer than wide, and maybe repeating across the length of the bed would be the way I would plant it. If they look a bit more like swirls rather than blocks, it looks more natural.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 6:18PM
bobby_c(z7 DC)

Thanks all, good suggestions! I like the idea of drifts, I can see where that would be better than planting in rows. And longer than wide - does that mean the drifts would be elongated following the depth of the bed (4') or the length (25')?

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 12:06PM
bobby_c(z7 DC)

BTW - here is a picture of the bed:

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 12:40PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

As you stand away from the bed and the fence and look at the 25' side of the bed, the drifts would be wider from left to right than they are from front to back.

I should add to my earlier comment about odd-numbers that odd numbers looking better is more the case when you can see the individual plants; if the plants grow together in one undifferentiated mass, it doesn't matter if you have odd or even numbers.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 1:18PM
bobby_c(z7 DC)

Fantastic - thanks!

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™