Al's mixes a difinitive how to?

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)June 2, 2011

Is there anywhere a HOW TO on using Al's 5-1-1 and 1-1-1? Not the what it does part I found that confusing.

I just read something that makes it sound like the bark is supposed to be wet when you first use it. I didn't know that! And if using the 5-1-1 what types of things can you plant in it? Tomatoes? Flowers? Or just houseplants?

I finally found some bark that will work, and the Napa floor product. Although I am mostly done with planting my containers for this year. I do have some house plants that need repotting. And I am not sure which of these to use.

Which mix for a Rex Begonia?

Which mix for a Christmas Cactus?

I am sure the 1-1-1 is the one to use for a Jade plant.

Oh so many questions! Not enough brain to remember it all! I need it written down.

Jenny P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

This may help a little. When mixing the mix must be moist because it needs to react with the lime for a week to let the ph ballance. Heat and moister will determin how long the lime will take to react. I think that the 5-1-1 is the best mix I ever used. You ask what can be planted in it? Well if you ballance the ph for the specific plant it will grow everthing. Most soilless mixs are peat/perlite based but This mix is cheaper and has better drainage!!!

5-bark
1-pelite
1-peat
1 tb sp of lime per gal of mix.
Then macro/micro nutrients.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 5:58PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Hi Jenny,
Yes, it helps if both mixes are moistened as they are made. If I don't use before they dry out, I mist them again before planting in them.

The bark and peat will repel water if they become too dry, so being moist from the start is a big help to your plants.

As far as what works best for what plant...

In general the gritty mix is for woody and long term plantings, including house plants, and succulents.

The 5-1-1 is used alot for annuals and short term planting.. Tomato's , Peppers, fruits and veggies, and flowers and such.

The Jade would do best in the gritty mix (1-1-1) and probably the christmas cactus (I haven't actually grown that one).

I'm not sure about the begonia.

JoJo

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 6:52PM
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

This is what I mean, I would love it if all this great info was in ONE spot. I don't remember reading the add lime then let it sit a week. I also just yesterday saw something about getting it wet BEFORE planting in it. No wonder my plants looked so sad until I put them outside and it rained a couple inches!

I am going to have to start a note book to keep all this information in one spot to refer too.

Jenny P

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 7:28PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Hi Jenny,
I'm glad you got some of the help you needed.
I copy and print bits and pieces I feel will be helpful to me. :-)

JoJo

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 7:32PM
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

I do copy and paste, but I wonder what else I missed! If you search for Al's mixes there are hundreds of references. Which is why I wondered if it was all compiled into one place. I DID see the one where he described WHY his mixes work. But that one just confused me more. I am looking more for a HOW TO.

Jenny P

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 8:13PM
monet_g

Jenny,
This old post might help. I refer to it often. However, I have notes, too.
Gail

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soil Basics: a compilation

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Root bound jasmine separation
HI.. It is a first time I disturbed a rootball of...
amriteanukul112
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Fabric Pots - Decor Question
Good afternoon everyone. I'm thinking of growing a...
veegardens
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
Sponsored Products
'How Strong We Are' Box Sign
$8.99 | zulily
Wheat Beige Triton High Back Chair
Cost Plus World Market
Dublin Stemmed Iced Tea Goblets
Classic Hostess
Robo Mini Leather Sectional
Opulent Items
Girl's Best Friend Pendant
| Dot & Bo
Dick Idol Hand-tufted Southwestern Aztec Ranenna Wool Runner Rug (2'6 x 8')
Overstock.com
SunStopper Sun Haven 16 x 8-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-16X8-MANUAL-D
Hayneedle
Bolla Satin Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant with Garnet Glass
$153.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™