Sweet potato vine vs other annuals

miclino(5)June 11, 2012

New to container gardening. I just planted some pots with annual geraniums, verbena, helichrysum and sweet potato vine. This is in full sun. Another version has impatiens (sun tolerant) and the vine in part shade. I have use both black and green versions of the vine (one per pot). Do I need to worry about the vine overwhelming everything else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Not in one season.

And you will be looking at them every time you water- if you see them over growing just pinch them back. Obviously keep the trailing parts as (presumably) that's why you included them to begin with, but any excess foliage up top is easy enough to remove.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 10:31AM
miclino(5)

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 11:17AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Agree, you can just trim off whatever you want, it won't hurt the vines. If you need to remove some of the leaves within the rim of the pot so other plants can get more light, that's fine. I don't know if you're after more bushiness or not, but if so, pinch the tip off of the vines and they will start making new stems although it's hard to predict WHERE it will decide to do this. Most likely where there is a missing leaf, but not always.

This pot has (among other things) 2 little SPV cuttings that I stuck in there 3 months ago. The porch faces south.

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™