Help with tomatoes

swimlikehellJune 4, 2011

Hello, I am trying tomatoes for the second year and am still having issues. First let me tell you about my setup, i have two Roma tomato plants and two cucumber plans and two bell pepper plants and a habanero plant each plant has a 5 gallon nursery style container and I water each day except the peppers. The cucumber and tomato plants are growing like crazy but the fruit on the tomatoes are getting BER and are staying small. This was an issue last year as well that is why I got bigger pots but this hasn't fixed anything. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on the cause of my small tomatoes as well as the BER. Thanks for all help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Search Gardenweb for BER and you'll find a lot of information on what causes it and lots of theories about how to prevent it. One thing you should know is that it is much more likely to occur in plum/ paste tomatoes, including Roma. The good news is that if you take care to water evenly and feed your tomatoes properly they often seem to "grow out of it."

What potting mix are you using? It should drain well and ideally contain calcium and magnesium. If you make your own mix you can add a little lime to provide calcium and magnesium. Your fertilizer needs to include all the trace elements. Some fertilizers made for tomatoes, like tomatotone, do include calcium.

You might want to visit the tomatoes forum here to learn more.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™