Repotting a kumquat & avocado tree, should I root prune?

podpeopleJune 27, 2011

Hey folks,

I was just given a small Nagami kumquat and a Hass avocado tree (neither have any flowers or fruits) that have been sitting in their small 3 gallon nursery pots for a very long time and are fairly root bound. I'm going to repot them and I just wanted to see if both of these take favorably to bare rooting or root pruning? Should I just knock out the old soil and replant in Al's mix or are are these the kind of trees that do better with a little root pruning (remove about 1/3 of the bottom roots)?

Thanks for your time,

~CJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zackey(GA 8b)

Good question. I wish I knew the answer! I worked in plant nurseries for a few years and I thought I had repotted just about everything at every stage of potbound. I never heard of root pruning like that. I'd just remove the old soil if you feel the need to. The roots might wrapped around the rootball alot. Half the fun is the challenge of repotting something that rootbound. We never removed the old soil. Maybe because it was in a nursery? Maybe homeowners repot differently. Anxious to see other people's answers!

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 6:20PM
stropharia(8b louisiana)

I haven't worked with avocados, but I bare rooted a Meiwa kumquat into Al's mix earlier this year (see this thread) and it's doing great. There are at least 30 fruits developing now, and it has just started putting out a little new growth and another flush of flowers.

Normally it's best to do this sort of work in the spring, before it gets too hot and the plants start putting out new growth. I recently made a post about this subject here, so that may help you as well.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 7:30PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

What S said. Timing is important.

Al

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™