How high can you dry stack a raised garden bed?

MSP_JSP(7)April 18, 2014

How high can you dry stack a raised garden bed and still fill it with soil, without the bricks/stones toppling over?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saypoint(6b CT)

A skilled stone mason can probably build a dry stacked wall as high as you want it. For all others, I'd say keep it low enough to avoid a safety hazard, dig down and start the wall below grade a bit using the largest stones, and slope it in slightly toward the soil side so it doesn't fall outward.
I'm not a mason, but since no one else piped up...you can probably get a lot of info on the Stone forum.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 9:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MSP_JSP(7)

Thanks for directing us to the Stone forum. We hadn't found that one yet. I also posted this question to the landscape design forum, and there are some good responses, as well as a follow up picture of what we did this past weekend: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg0417250119248.html.

We did start the stones a bit below grade. We also canted them ever so slightly toward the soil side. This weekend, on the advice of our local, independent garden center, we covered the inside with surface bonding cement. It feels pretty solid, now.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™