Bocce Court

BoyanApril 21, 2013

Hey guys, hopefully I can get some help with construction of Bocce Court here in North Carolina. Here is my question, I do not know what to use for top surface of the court the more research I do the more confused I get. I am looking for something that will not cost too much but that will suite the purpose. The two materials I most commonly saw were Decomposed Granite and Stone Dust (Screenings). My only concern is the compaction of the material, SD seems to be the right material but if I place and 2-3â and its compacted it seems like it will turn into dust once its dried in summer, is there any compaction to it, or should I go with smaller depth. With DG should I use Stabilizer or just regular DG, how well does this material compact?
Thanks,
Bo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

In my area, stone dust comes in a variety of sizes but it is hard to find a super fine stone dust . Over a short amount of time the fines filter down and the larger particles rise to the top.
This makes it a good intermediate base especially if you are topping off the court with oystershell flour, but not a good finished playing surface.
You may be able to find a finely granualize stone dust in your area in which case it would make a good finished surface. In my area though , the stone yards don't carry a fine stone dust like they do in other regions of the country. ( that's one reason why you see decomposed granite used )

I've used dg to build courts with and due to the relatively uniform size of the particles it makes a more suitable intermediate as well as a satisfactory finished playing surface.

A stabilizer makes the surface more durable and there is still enough of a grainy texture.

If you can locate oyster shell flour it makes for a nice finished playing surface, especially it you have a custom mix that uses a little clay in the mixture.

Our regular building specifications use 3/4 compacted drain rock, a 3 inch sub base of permeable stone dust fines ( which is not like east coast stone dust fines ) and then cap it off with a leveling layer of clay + oyster shell mix

I buy a local finished product here ( Northern California ) from Jerico Co located in Petaluma Ca.

Attached are a couple photos showing some bocce courts with different finished and unfinished materials.
The modern looking court has its base and subbase installed . It doesn't have the oyster flour + clay mix added yet.

The bocce below is finished with oyster flour and is surrounded by stablized decomposed granite From Sonoma - Freudbrgr From Sonoma Valley Project

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Sponsored Products
Blue Jetson Chair
$299.99 | zulily
Courtly Check Beverage Dispenser
$550.00 | Horchow
Minka Lavery Aston Court Mediterranean Chandelier
1800Lighting
2-Light Ceiling Textured Rust Patina
$61.80 | PLFixtures
Laurel Court Ava 5-Light Bronze Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Laurel Court Giclee Shade 12x12x8.5 (Spider)
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Antique Fleur-De-Lis Taupe 2' 6" x 4' 2"
Home Depot
14 Series Seven Pendant Chandelier by Bocci
$2,450.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™