Fertilizer questions for longan, almond, & pomegranate tree?

podpeopleJune 23, 2011

Hey folks,

Got a quick question for you. I have a container longan, all-in-one almond, and an eversweet pomegranate. They are all in the 5-1-1 mix and I'll eventually be watering weakly weekly with Foliage Pro, but to be on the safe side I'd also like to throw in some time release just in case. They are all in half wine barrels.

I do have a a bottle of slow release Dynamite 13-13-13 and a bottle of their palm & citrus 13-5-11. Would either of these work and what ration for a half barrel if I'll be using Foliage Pro weekly?

Thanks for your time,

~CJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Of the 2, the 13-5-11 would be a much better choice than the 13-13-13. If you were using only a CRF as your nutrient source, I'd suggest you use about 1/2 cup/cu ft of soil, which comes out pretty close to a tbsp/gallon, but if you're using it as a back-up, I'd guess you'd probably want to use some fraction of that amount - up to you, but 1 - 1.5 tsp/gallon sounds reasonable to me.

AL

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 6:32PM
podpeople

Hello again,

Thanks for the info. I just have a few more questions. I actually just received my Foliage Pro shipment. Would I be safe fertilizing them weakly weekly with 1 tsp per gallon of water? Is that the amount you would recommend? Would that be the same ration with my vegetables in half barrels?

Thanks again,
~CJ

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 6:55PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

While air temps are between 60-80, I usually fertilize at 4 tsp in a 2-1/2 gallon watering can, which is about 1-1/2 tsp per gallon, and I see no evidence of plants having trouble keeping leaf margins & tips hydrated (no sign of fertilizer burn), or any sort of sense that the plants are being pushed too hard, so I think 1 tsp/gallon on a weekly basis is well within reason ..... if you are watering copiously so the soil is being flushed at each watering.

Al

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™