Mixed results

bigpinksJune 17, 2011

First yr with containers and I have about 8 on the driveway.All in the 5-1-1 mix. Better Bush and Bush Goliath started out wonderful and plants are still beautiful but BER so far. Cherokee Purple looks better so I suspect some varieties are more suspect to this problem. Bell peppers and Black Beauty Eggplant are the best I've ever had. Japanese eggplants started later are off to a good start. Side yard garden is 40x40 and I have 8 veggies there that are doing good. Estler Mortgage Lifters set out May 15 have 3in tomatoes and Brandy Boy maybe 4in in diameter. I have 65 all together of 15 diff cultivars, beans corn, cukes, egg plants, peppers, lettuce, kohlrabi and green onions. Lot of work...lots more fun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Howdy, sounds like a load of vegetables!

For the 5-1-1, did you add the Lime? (I hate to even ask, but you never know...) ;-)

Also, what type of fertilizer are you using?

Josh

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 5:38PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

BER is a common physiological problem, often unrelated to the Ca supply, on early fruits and usually self-corrects. By 'unrelated to the Ca supply', I mean that even when the Ca supply in the soil is adequate or even more than adequate, it's common for tomatoes in early growth stages to exhibit BER because they are physically unable to assimilate Ca fast enough to supply the needs of the entire plant. You can read more about it if you like at the link I left below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about the physiology of BER if you click me

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 8:59PM
bigpinks

yep the lime was included......Osmocote 14-14-14 in the mix and half strength 24-8-16 MG since.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Can anyone predict future of this coconut tree?
its been around 6 months since I have potted this local...
amriteanukul112
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™