VERY inconsistent pine barks experience

greentoe357June 3, 2013

The usual pine bark fines hunting adventures here that I feel I need to share - to provide shortcuts for others but also to get some advice.

The pictures of my experience are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uyb94mphivnzacv/ck69aT2Gp_.

I found two different bark fines products at different stores here in Brooklyn. Crest hardware store in Williamsburg has "Golden Trophy pine bark mulch" which is uncomposted, particles are a bit too large (that is a dime in the pictures) and a fair amount of wood chippings are included, which I separated manually.

Lowes on 2nd avenue had "Premium mulch pine bark fines". The bag was very wet, so I am actually drying the contents on a table cloth on the floor of my NYC apartment - that makes for hilarious facebook status updates - highly recommend this to everybody, haha.

The particles are way too fine and fully or almost fully composted (see picture).

I understand I need something in the middle of these two products, and none of them will work alone. (Or will it?) I am going to try to find a place that can chop the Golden Trophy bark for me further and then I am just going to mix the two barks together, 2.5 and 2.5 parts, to make the 5 parts pine fines for the mix. Does this plan sound alright? I am going to see how the actual mix looks - may need to add less sphagnum peat moss or the smaller pine bark particles if the mix seems water-retentive enough.

Where should I be looking to get the bark chopped finer? I have some leads to tree removal services here, but welcome other ideas very much as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycgarden(6)

Sounds like you have a good handle on the principles of particle size vs. water retention. I got the Lowes brand as well and was disappointed. I would probably do the same as you to save some money. My best find for PBF was at a Agway on Long Island that a friend picked up for me. If you have a car, it might be worth a trip out there. I put the link below. I also saw some PBF that looked good at the Gowanus Nursery. Not sure if you are close to them.
No idea about chipper's for hire.

Good luck,
Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: chicksagway.com

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 5:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greentoe357

Dan, thanks for the reply. Did you get the same thing at Lowes and were disappointed for the same reasons or others?

I looked at Agway, but with no car it's a pain for me to get there. Gowanus Nursery is much more conveniently located - same subway line as my house! I'll definitely note it for my next PBF shopping adventure when I run out.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Root bound jasmine separation
HI.. It is a first time I disturbed a rootball of...
amriteanukul112
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Fabric Pots - Decor Question
Good afternoon everyone. I'm thinking of growing a...
veegardens
Sponsored Products
Triumph Sports Evolution Electronic Dartboard with Tru-Color Display - 21-2015
$138.87 | Hayneedle
Rostrum Dining Table in Walnut
$299.00 | LexMod
Stanford V-Mirror with TV and Bose Speaker
Lightology
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Circle and Stripe Light
Home Depot
Worldwide Lighting Chandeliers Galaxy Collection 24-Light LED Chrome and
Home Depot
Crystorama Regis Mini Chandelier - 17.5W in. English Bronze & Golden Teak - 5114
$598.00 | Hayneedle
Light Covers: Casablanca Snow White Ceiling Fan Stealth Cap STLHC-11
$31.65 | Home Depot
On the Edge Book
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™