Kid Friendly Privacy Hedge

soilenthusiastApril 12, 2014

Greetings,

We would like to put up a privacy hedge (ideally something that will rise up to 20-25 feet) in our backyard. It may go against either a concrete block wall or a wood fence (we're not sure yet). We're located in Southern California.

I've done a fair amount of research online, including in this forum, but can't seem to find any plants that are "non-toxic" or have other issues. Since this hedge will be bordering a child's play area, the toxicity was my main concern. A ficus hedge has been suggested, but I heard the roots will destroy a block wall if I put one nearby. Podocarpus Gracilior was another option, but a number of websites suggest it has some toxic properties. Same with Carolina Cherry, Privet, etc. It seems that a Eugenia Hedge would work, but landscapers suggest that it's not a great tree and one that diseases easily.

Are there any safe hedges (there must be - tons of people have hedges around here)?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

Edible pineapple guava, Feijoa may be a good possibility.

other choices for you to further research would be Pittosporum tenuifolium and Rhamnus alaternus. .. and prehaps Metrosideros.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 4:00AM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

I hope they are Hedge Friendly Kids. Get a strong tough hedge because in my experience, kids like to burrow in them. Min

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 9:41PM
elysianfields(9b CA)

Look into purple hopseed bush. I grow mine as trees which become airy but they can be pruned into a bush. I prefer the natural sweep. I do not think there's a toxicity issue as far as I've read.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 3:58AM
More Discussions
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™