Slope towards fence: raised bed or no?

julianna_il(z6 IL)May 2, 2013

I want to put a perennial bed at the corner of the backyard fence. The yard slopes somewhat to the fence, so the fence is a bit lower than where the front edge will begin.

It's not a huge slope, probably like the photo link below, or not quite as much. (I just googled, not my pic)

What I'm wondering is if I need to edge this bed in at the back (maybe a plank of cedar) and raise it so it's more level? Or should I just go with the way it is? My main concern is erosion.

I haven't planned out the bed yet, but I suspect the back (at the fence) will be Joe Pye weed and butterfly weed. Maybe some morning glories. I don't know what else, but shorter things in front. LOL.

http://backyardice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/sloped-yard.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

You could probably minimize or eliminate erosion on this mild slope with some wood chip mulch. It's a good idea not to raise grade in front of a fence, if possible.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:24AM
julianna_il(z6 IL)

Thanks!

Would certainly be easier if I don't have to try and level it out.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 12:06PM
yardvaark

One more thing occurs to me, if you NEED some levelling. If that's the case, since you're only trying to combat potential erosion, you could use individual boards on edge that are attached to stakes securely driven into the ground in order to level up sections of the garden. Let's say, for example, that there is an 18" grade differential from one end of the garden to the other. Instead of creating an 18" retaining wall/device at the low end of the garden, divide the levelling into 3, 6" level changes. Plants can hide any unattractive structures since those would be low height. I would use the easiest, cheapest solution that does the job.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™