My roses are blooming :-)

RenthorinJune 18, 2011

I planted three roses, each in a 5-gallon bucket.

Attached is a link to a picture. Now, how do I prune roses? Can they be pruned for more blossoms later or is what I see now (flowers and buds) all they will do this year?

I'm new to roses so any help is appreciated.

Ren

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greentiger87

You may want to post in the roses forum. It looks like you have some hybrid teas, which are usually repeat bloomers - meaning you'll continue to get new blooms as long as the plants are happy and the weather is conducive.

Google how to prune roses for a lot more information that you could ever get in a thread. The term you should search for is called "deadheading" - cutting back spent blooms to promote more flowers. The basic concept is that you prune 1/4 inch above a "node", which is where a petiole (leaf stem) attaches to a branch or main stem. These leaf clusters have new growing "buds" above them, which show the direction that your new stem will grow. You want to cut above a node a leaf cluster of 5 leaves; if you cut above a 3 leaflet cluster, you won't get new blooms on that stem. Try to cut back to a place where the stem is about the thickness of a pencil, or your new blooms will form on weak, drooping stems. The cut should be at 45 degrees, with the highest part of the cut stem closest to the new growth bud (so water will flow away from it). Prune with an eye towards good air circulation to prevent disease. Cut so that new growth is away from the center of the plant.

This sounds much, much more complicated than it is - it's very easy once you get the hang of it. Google "deadheading" - a picture is worth a thousand words. Good luck and enjoy your roses!

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 6:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Renthorin

Cool thanks :)

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 5:14AM
More Discussions
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™