Cal-Turf Pro in container potting mix -- what say you??

dancinglemons(7B VA)June 9, 2012

Hello all,

I normally use Dolomite Lime product for my containers because when I started growing in containers this is what was recommended. DH and I had an extensive conversation with the guy at our local farm store (an avid EarthTainer grower) he says he no longer uses Dolomite but uses Cal-Turf Pro -- because he changes out his growing medium every 2 years. He says he mixes 1 cup per 2cuft of potting medium +/- (he mixes his own version of EarthTainer recommended mix). He also has several EarthBoxes which he uses Cal-Turf Pro in.

What say you guys?? Supposedly this stuff works faster than Dolomitic Limestone product -- 30 days vs. 90 days.

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

" uses Cal-Turf Pro -- because he changes out his growing medium every 2 years" what bearing does this have on a lime choice ?

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 4:49AM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

Ok here goes and I hope I get it right :-))

Before he knew about Cal-Turf Pro -- He made his potting medium in late fall (November/December) or late winter (February/March). The reason according to him was to give the Dolomite/Lime time to 'season' his potting medium as it takes about 90 days to do so - according to him. With the Cal-Turf Pro he can make his potting medium as late as 30 days before he wants to plant his containers -because- the CTP will 'season' his potting medium quickly (30 days).

My experience with EarthBox containers (and EarthTainer) has been that first year containers and/or those older BUT with 100% fresh potting medium tend to not benefit from the addition of Dolomite during the first year of ownership -or- during the first year after potting medium is completely changed. I am not a soil expert but know what I see in my garden (all containers with 4 raised beds).

Thus my query. If anyone has used CTP in their containers - EarthTainer OR EarthBox I'd appreciate their comments. The fellow at the farm store is only one person because all others I have talked to garden "in dirt" and we all know there is a great difference in dirt vs. container growing.

Cheers,
DL

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 4:48PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Dolomitic Garden Lime completes the lime phase reaction in 2 - 14 days with proper moisture and temp.
At least that's what I've read here. And that's why so many of us mix and plant on the same day.

Josh

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™