Interesting pine fines story

cyn_sJune 1, 2011

I'm really lucky to have a small business nearby where I can get bulk mushroom compost (certified organic), mulches, etc. I was there last week and asked the owner if he could possibly get "something I call 'pine fines'." He said, "Let me tell you about pine fines. Many years ago I had a couple of folks who wanted some, and whenever I got a truck load they'd give me another one for the cost of freight b/c they wanted to get rid of it.

"Recently there was a landscaper here who was doing a job at a new hotel where the specs called for 75% fines. I called the supplier [don't know the name but they're in GA and supply the whole SE - Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc.] and he said it would be TWO MONTHS before he could get me some. I told him how I used to get it so cheaply and he said, 'Let me tell you - those days are long gone!'

"So I called a trucker I know who delivers for them, and he said he was sorry but it really would be two months. They have multiple trucks going out daily - sometimes more than once a day. People have found out how good this stuff is in potting mixes, and the suppliers can't keep up w/ the demand. They're even grinding up pine bark mulch to use."

I wonder ... could Al's recommendation have played a part in this discovery??? Wouldn't that be something? We should have all bought stock in it! LOL

More Discussions
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™