Cactus mix for Conifer Seedlings?

spartacus83June 23, 2011

I have a few conifer seedlings (Sequoia,Spruce and metasquoia) in some peat based soil but I've noticed that the soil gets very compact after a few waterings, would cactus mix be a better soil for seedlings?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Seedlings do best in a very well-aerated soil. I sow hardy conifer & deciduous seeds directly on top of the gritty mix in flats or wood boxes in late fall, scarifying when appropriate, then cover them with about 1/4" of Turface fines, and leave them out in the weather over winter. I also usually lay a piece of insect screen on top of the soil to act as a break (slow down the rain) so it doesn't splash soil/seeds out of the flat or expose the seeds and to make it more difficult for the critters to get at them. They usually sprout in the spring as soil temps pass 50*.

Screened Turface would be great, and you could use perlite with a little peat mixed in if you wanted to.

Al

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 6:24PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Al~
I have a question too..
I have some pine seeds that were from tree's of a lower elevation around here that don't see snow, and very few hard freezes. would they need the cold treatment like you do with yours?

Thanks,
JJ

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 6:44PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Hi, JJ. ;-) Different species need different levels of cold stratification and even scarification (like our jackpine needs fire to promote germination, and fire plays an important part in the life cycle of the redwoods as well). Some seeds germinate only in the dark, others in the light, and still others need specific wave-lengths of light to germinate.

In the case of your trees, it doesn't take freezing temperatures to successfully vernalize seeds - most seeds can be cold-stratified/vernalized at temperatures of 45* and cooler.

Al

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™