Hot days...

gjshawk(6)June 27, 2013

The summer is getting hotter here in western Colorado. Today it's going to hit 102, and tomorrow 104. The garden is doing well, but I've noticed that the water reservoirs in the SIPs are going down fast. The Grow Boxes have 4 gallon reservoirs and I am filling them at least once a day, and they are pretty low when I get to them. The 5 gallon buckets too. The tomatoes, peppers, and other plants are healthy though, and don't appear to have any wilt.

Next year I plan on setting up an automatic watering system, probably the rain gutter system with float valve.

Here's a photo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thatmarriedguy(9)

I hear ya, Orlando is hitting high 90's and a zillion % humidity. My boxes have to be filled everyday or they just go bone dry, it's nuts!

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:48AM
gjshawk(6)

I was wrong. It hit at least 105. My wife's vehicle thermometer said 108. Today's supposed to be even hotter. It's dry here, so when you go out you bake instead of broil, like you do in Florida. I lived in Pensacola for almost 8 years, so I've been there with the humid heat. I'll take it dry any time if it's going to be hot.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:41PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Yeah temps in the 100's is definitely hot. And yes the SIP's will empty fast. I'm glad you didn't call them SWC's, because nothing could be further from the truth :-). We have been spoiled with hot (90's) dryish summers here for the past few years, but this year it 's been wet, but warm. Too wet for most with in ground gardens, but for us with containers, they really shine in the heavy rain. Almost 9" in my rain bucket for June, and mother nature is doing most of my daily watering, saving me about an hour per day.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:10PM
gjshawk(6)

It hasn't rained here for at least a month. I wouldn't mind a little water from the sky to wet things down and get the particulates out of the air. Ain't happenin' for a while here, though. I should go out and wash my truck. It usually rains a day or two after that.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™