Birch Tree

missmary(6b)May 11, 2013

There is a birch tree planted about 10 from the front corner of our house. The last couple of years I've noticed it has sparse leaf production. All the leaves are healthy looking - no yellowing, all bright and nice green - but only about half the branches have leaves on them. It's about 16 years old.

Thoughts?

Connected or co-incidence, I don't know - but last year the cherry laurels planted around the tree, near it's base (6 feet away), one by one quickly turned brown and died. I've never seen anything like it.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melle_sacto(Z9/Sunset 14 CA)

How often are you watering the tree?

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wildcatnurseryman

Water would be the issue, for the Laurels especially. Birch are very well known for their thirsty roots, and the number of years you are talking about have given the tree more than enough time to develop a root system that is capable of draining any water that that area is given through natural or hand watering. Birch are also well known for their shedding of old branches, particularly thin lower branches. They should be pruned out (for the looks of the tree in this instance, more than others) as it is the natural habit of the tree.
If you plan to replant under the tree your best bet would be to attempt to plant in the holes that the dead laurels create because digging new ones could be next to impossible. Additional (and frequent) watering will be necessary to keep new plantings alive under an established birch, long-term.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™