Sun Room Container Gardening

TheSunRoomGardenerJune 26, 2012

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and pretty new to gardening, but I love having a sunroom and I've gone completely insane with plants!

With that being said I have a few questions about the best way to care for some of the plants that I have. I've posted a few pics so you guys can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

My first question is about jalapeno peppers. I started six from seed and they are growing really nicely right now. My only concern is that when they get older and bigger, they will not like being in the long pot that I have them all in (see pic) and will be hard to repot because all their roots will be growing into each other. Should I repot them now, or will they do fine where they are?

I also have a dwarf meyer lemon tree that I ordered online. It's grown quite a bit since I bought it, but some if its leaves are kinda yellow and a few have holes in them ( I also put pics of this up). Any idea what this could be? Also, is it essential that I fertilize it and if so, what type of fertilizer should I use?

The other two plants that I put pics of are two more exotic plants that I ordered online. The tall one in the black pot is an Angels Trumpet and the one in the white ceramic pot is a princess flower. If anyone has any tips on how to keep these happy and possibly bloom faster, I'd appreciate the help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant pics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheSunRoomGardener

Also forgot to ask, is a ceramic pot a good pot to use for the lemon tree, and when should I expect them to start producing?

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 5:45PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Sunroom,

Welcome to the forums:)

I'm not sure about some of your questions, but I believe you should repot those peppers now.

Check out the link below, it is from one of the geniuses on this forum, and you will learn a ton about container growing from his posts. Fertilizing in containers is an absolute requirement, and there is a link at the bottom of the post I am linking where he goes in to fertilizing in detail.

Good luck with your container garden :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Good stuff:)

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 11:13PM
rina_

Sunroom;

just wondering - why do you want to keep plants inside?
Looks like you are in the house, is there any 'outside' you can put them? Trumpet & princess could grow very large...I understand the excitement about sunroom (had same experience myself!), but I would think that they would benefit from being outside. Even the lemon. Just asking...Rina

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 4:47PM
TheSunRoomGardener

Well I'm a little nervous about putting them outside because I'm a college student in a college town and I would worry about someone stealing them. They are going to be outside for two months though while I'm in Massachusetts at a job living in a place a bit more safe for outdoor container plants. But now I'm concerned about the trip there and back. I know Meyer lemons don't like being moved around too much so I'm worried about the four hour drive to get there. Does anyone know if angels trumpet, princess flowers or orchids also don't do well with long moves? Everything is so happy right now, I want to keep them that way!

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
glowing pots
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I...
mystmaiden
Pop Quiz TIme: What plants are in this container?
Looks like the deep purple ones are petunias. But what...
Lisa Richter
Unusual Containers
I've been growing Sedum in a wheel off of a tire (that...
tomatoman100
Sponsored Products
Gizaun Art La Casa Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Cedar Wall Art - LC2216
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Maxy Home Ocean Blue Floral Garden Area Rug (7'11 x 9'10)
Overstock.com
Couristan Recife Saddle Stitch Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Black/Cocoa - 1001/2000
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Floral Kinetic Garden Spinner Stake
$39.99 | zulily
Georgia Bulldogs Two-Sided Garden Flag
$9.99 | zulily
Safavieh Hand-hooked Garden Scrolls Ivory Wool Rug (2'6 x 12')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™