Container help

ChicagoDeli37June 13, 2013

This year I added containers to the garden in them I have peas, strawberrys, peppers, Swiss chard, squash, carrots, tomatoes.

I used 3 different potting mixes. A dr earth brand, organicmix brand and miracle grow one I believe for the strawberries.

Anyways I know they are Going to need more water then the raised beds ESP in dead summer. But I'm curious on the best way to fertilize

The dr earth brand says you could use for several years but I'm not quite sure about the other 2, i don't want to use liquid miracle grow if its going to ruin the potting mix.

Should I use the same liquid nitrogen and liquid potassium I plan to use in my raised beds?

Here's 3 intermediate tomatoes 1 cherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

there are many threads on here regarding fertilizers. I recommend reading them, and you will understand the difference of growing in pots vs in the ground. A complete fertilizer is best.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 7:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mea2214(z5 Chicago)

At the beginning of the season I buy a big box of that blue granular Miracle Grow (3-1-2) that you mix one cap in a 2 gallon bucket of water. I apply once a week to everything starting about ... now until harvest time. AFAIK, the 3-1-2 ratio is for foliage growth. If you're in zone 5 Chicago those strawberries won't overwinter in containers outside (at least I never had any luck with them).

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™