Design suggestion for shrubs behind perennials in narrow area

ls8989May 24, 2012

Last year I created a backyard shrub/perennial bed that's about 35 long and 8 feet wide. (no flowers yet, pulled everything out to re do the bed). I need a couple of different shrubs (a few evergreens would be nice) for the background up against a 6' slat wooden fence. Experimented with camellias last year and they did not thrive. We brought in good garden soil and installed a connection to the sprinkler system this year and the hydrangeas that are across the gravel path from this new bed are thriving- a bit leggy, but blooming their heads off. Morning shade and about 4 hours of pretty hot afternoon sun.

I like varying heights but not too many varieties so it won't take away from the flowers. Suggestions? I have Indian Hawthornes in there now and they are just too short. I don't mind keeping a couple - just not in the back.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

The good old work horse 'privet' might be a consideration.
If there is space enough, English Laurel.
In the photo below we used Prunus Carolina against the fence and framed the view with two arborvitea.
From Pools

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 10:33AM
anniegolden(z7a)

Hot afternoon sun is problematic. Here in my area (zone 7a, central Delaware) nandina would thrive in this placement. Camillia would be doomed. Hollies, boxwood, pieris, all are good shrubs which will perform adequately in afternoon sun. Where are you in Georgia? Georgia ranges for zone 6b to 8b, I believe. This is a big range.

You have an automatic sprinkler system? How often do you turn it on and for how long? For shrubs, once established, an infrequent but deep watering is preferable to frequent shallow watering which would promote surface roots and lead to drought intolerance. Improper watering can contribute to difficulty with shrubs.

Pictures are most helpful.
Christine

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 11:24AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Most camellias and hydrangeas don't like a lot of sun.

I have a similar bed along the screened porch. It's shady until about 1 pm then full sun. Have it planted with a gardenia, plumbago, pineapple sage, a dwarf loropetalum, a small obelisk with vines, cuphea, sweetspire, abelia, Mexican bush sage, ornamental grasses, agastache, 'Blue Star' asters, Shasta daisies, coneflowers, pentas and thyme.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 11:44AM
ls8989

I got a steal on three Bright and Tight Cherry Laurels yesterday so I bought those and dragged them into this narrow bed. I will take a photo tomorrow. I also bought a bunch of red twig dogwoods because pike's marked them down to $5 each so I couldn't help myself. Have no idea where to put those in this yard. deviant, I love the photo! Are those peonies in between? it's dangerous because I literally live three blocks from Pike's. They see me coming and start marking things down.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:35AM
ls8989

I took a photo. The cherry laurels are still in their pots. I bought three, and the third one is an equal distance down further in the border. If three looks too crowded, I can always put one someplace else. I can relocate those Indian Hawthornes too, but then I need something else for mid size.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
New construction landscaping
I am looking for any suggestions for low maintenance...
lauracrawford28
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I am considering...
forensicmom
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Traditional Kashan
$89.97 | Home Depot
Primeval Sage/ Coffee Oriental Rug (5'3 x 7'7)
Overstock.com
Ivory & Charcoal Nikki Shag Rug
$59.99 | zulily
Steam Spa Oasis Package for Steam Spa 12kW Steam Generators in Brushed Nickel
Beyond Stores
Woody Table Lamp
Lightology
Warm White 5050 LED Super Flat Rope, 60/m, White Finish, Meter
EnvironmentalLights.com
Purcell Living | Cuscino Indoor Lounge
YLiving.com
Camille Satin Nickel-Plated Copper Sink