Fruit from avocado seedling

joewormJune 27, 2011

Has anyone grown an avocado from a seed and gotten any avocados from the palnt?

I've read different versions where some people say it isn't possible and others say it is possible to get a seedling to bear fruit. So I ask, from the horses mouth, has anyone had any success???

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

I've heard it can take up to 8 years to bear fruit.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 7:46PM
Matt_Tampa(9a/9b Tampa FL)

I think I've heard 3 to 5 years, but I've also heard that seeds from store-bought avocados are typically hybrids that will not bear fruit, and also that some avocado trees are bisexual while others are monosexual (or whatever the word is), i.e. with some types of trees you need at least one male tree to fertilize the female trees, and only the female trees will bear fruit.

I've got an avocado tree that's less than a year old growing in a container, and it's only about a foot and a half tall, so we'll see what happens with it - at least it's attractive even if it doesn't bear fruit.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 10:37AM
stropharia(8b louisiana)

If you want fruit, your best bet is to purchase a plant of a known variety.

Paraphrasing from an article I read a couple days ago:

Avocados do not come true from seed, meaning the fruit won't be like the one the seed came from, and you have no idea if the fruit will even be any good. Seedlings can take up to 10-15 years to fruit. Most fruit from supermarkets are from Mexican-Guatemalan hybrids; seedlings grown from them will usually have "moderate to severe" leaf tip burn, as well as some necrosis due to salt injury.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 3:26PM
joeworm

It looks like I'll leave the seedlings to the ornamental growers and buy a producing plant.
Thanks

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 4:50PM
jun_(8b-9a)

I have heard of two instances where a Hass Avocado seedling has produced a nice fruit, no different from a Hass. I can't remember how long it took, but I believe it was from 5 -8 years.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 7:35PM
Matt_Tampa(9a/9b Tampa FL)

They weren't too clear in that article about what they mean by "do not come true from seed." I think they must be talking about the hybrids and grafts that are used commercially. If you're taking a seed from a tree of an established breed, I can't think of why it wouldn't be true from seed.

But either way, yes, you want to make sure you get a known variety, and if you're starting from seed, it's probably going to be a long time before you see fruit.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 1:28AM
danswife33

I have a tree that's about 12 or 13 years old, planted from seed. It's about 30 feet tall. It's been bearing avocados for the past 7 or 8 years. I don't know the variety, it's from a supermarket avocado, very large smooth skin. I had bumper crops for a couple of years, just a few avocados for the last 2 or 3.
So, yes it is possible to get fruit from a tree grown from seed.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™