Edging

smilin_2009May 24, 2011

I laid sod 2 years ago and put wood mulch down for the flower beds and all landscaped areas. I did not put down a border, I left it natural which I have been using a flat shovel to keep the border edged and looking good. Only thing is I have to do this a few times a year and I'm looking for an alternative way to keep this border looking good. I have about 400 ft. of boarder and was thinking of using a gas stick edger but I am not sure if this will work. Any ideas? Stihl makes a nice gas powered stick edger but would this work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Most of the mow and blow guys use something very similar - it's fast and easy, if not the ideal solution. I prefer hand edging myself....:-)

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 10:16AM
annzgw

I have a Stihl gas powered edger and it does work well but I find it works best when it can roll on a solid base such as my concrete walk and driveway.
When I tried using it along the grass/mulch area I had to work a little harder in keeping the blade the same depth along the full run.

We hired a gardener last year to do weeds and edging only and they use their weed eater turned on edge. I used to do the same in the grass/mulch areas and once you learn the correct angle and direction to work from, you can get a nice straight cut with it.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 11:40AM
cearbhaill

Gas trimmers work, but they do so by beating the grass to death- you are left with raggedy ends on each blade that will never have that nice, crisp, healthy look that hand edged borders will have.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Concrete or Pavers
Hey guys, So I've started the process of having contractors...
jplee3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™