JM potting mix for Arkansas

mylespickett(8a)June 23, 2012

Hello everyone, I was told I would find some helpful info in this particular forum. I have purchased quite a few JMs over the past year (about 35 actually) and have tried to create a mix for potting all of them up and would like a little helpful evaluation and advice on what I'm doin right or wrong or if I am missing anything... But also if I could go with out a certain ingredient (always trying to save a buck$$). I will paste my original post below. Thanks for any help or advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mylespickett(8a)

ORIGINAL POST

Well I just registered to the forum after reading and reading... And reading. It seems not a lot of growers occupy my area (little rock, Arkansas). I've learned of so many types of soil mixtures for containerized JMs. My question though being- is there any professional advice on a soil recipe for containers in my area... My very humid and hot and crazy weather region.
I have many maples right now in a mix I have made including:
6 parts sifted pine bark mulch
4 parts expanded shale
3 parts earthworm castings
2 parts sphagnum peat moss
Used coffee as top dressing a couple times a month
Oh and a lil perlite to taste...

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 7:29PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Nothing terribly wrong other than the fact that the worm castings are unnecessary and counterproductive because they limit the soil's potential aeration - nothing in them you can't get from a soluble fertilizer, w/o the negative impact on drainage/aeration. Also, coffee grounds aren't such a good choice as a fraction of container soils OR as a top dressing/mulch .... and I'm thinking it would have been wise to have included dolomitic (garden) lime in your soil, too. 1/3 - 1/2 cup per cu ft is about right.

Al

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 9:33PM
mylespickett(8a)

Awesome!!! Good to know for this next repotting. I had no idea the worm castings would have that effect on aeration. As far as fertilizer is concerned I've been using happy frog (fox farm) JM fErtilizer 4-8-5. I've been fertilizing about 2 tablespoons a month for my younger trees and about twice that for my trees in 5 gallon pots and larger. I've been told not to over fertilize so I think I'm right on that? Can you or anyone suggest a better fertilizer/fert. Regimen. Thanks for the advice Al! I'll add some lime on my next repot and nix the castings.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Sponsored Products
Pots on Bridge Indoor - Outdoor LED Tabletop Fountain
$99.00 | Lamps Plus
Designers Fountain 83803 Del Ray 3 Light Bath Bar in Flemish Bronze Finish - 838
$209.50 | Hayneedle
Waterproof RGB LED Neon, by the Meter
EnvironmentalLights.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Wyndham Grey/Black 5 ft. x 8
Home Depot
Floral Band Flower Pot Candleholder
$11.99 | zulily
Pebble poppy napkin (set/4)
Origin Crafts
Five Seasons Shoreline Cream Blue Rectangular: 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 6 in. Rug
$94.00 | Bellacor
Regal Golden Teak Strass Crystal Sconce