JM potting mix for Arkansas

mylespickett(8a)June 23, 2012

Hello everyone, I was told I would find some helpful info in this particular forum. I have purchased quite a few JMs over the past year (about 35 actually) and have tried to create a mix for potting all of them up and would like a little helpful evaluation and advice on what I'm doin right or wrong or if I am missing anything... But also if I could go with out a certain ingredient (always trying to save a buck$$). I will paste my original post below. Thanks for any help or advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mylespickett(8a)

ORIGINAL POST

Well I just registered to the forum after reading and reading... And reading. It seems not a lot of growers occupy my area (little rock, Arkansas). I've learned of so many types of soil mixtures for containerized JMs. My question though being- is there any professional advice on a soil recipe for containers in my area... My very humid and hot and crazy weather region.
I have many maples right now in a mix I have made including:
6 parts sifted pine bark mulch
4 parts expanded shale
3 parts earthworm castings
2 parts sphagnum peat moss
Used coffee as top dressing a couple times a month
Oh and a lil perlite to taste...

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 7:29PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Nothing terribly wrong other than the fact that the worm castings are unnecessary and counterproductive because they limit the soil's potential aeration - nothing in them you can't get from a soluble fertilizer, w/o the negative impact on drainage/aeration. Also, coffee grounds aren't such a good choice as a fraction of container soils OR as a top dressing/mulch .... and I'm thinking it would have been wise to have included dolomitic (garden) lime in your soil, too. 1/3 - 1/2 cup per cu ft is about right.

Al

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 9:33PM
mylespickett(8a)

Awesome!!! Good to know for this next repotting. I had no idea the worm castings would have that effect on aeration. As far as fertilizer is concerned I've been using happy frog (fox farm) JM fErtilizer 4-8-5. I've been fertilizing about 2 tablespoons a month for my younger trees and about twice that for my trees in 5 gallon pots and larger. I've been told not to over fertilize so I think I'm right on that? Can you or anyone suggest a better fertilizer/fert. Regimen. Thanks for the advice Al! I'll add some lime on my next repot and nix the castings.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™