Design challenge - hide a huge stump

gayled(6)May 5, 2014

This is the view from our enclosed porch. It is the tail end of a100' raised border that spans the rear of our property. The tree is a stewartia, next to it is a crooked hinoki which I can easily move. There are hostas just emerging - also can be moved. Tuff Stuff hydrangea (lacecap) with a few fake alliums (I like a little whimzy in my garden). I'm stumped! Just not sure how to hide this. The orientation is north, however it is in the rear of the garden so it does receive some southern sun. It backs up to woodland. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Why not expand the hosta planting toward the back, coming as close to the stump as possible? They would hide it.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:52AM
junco East Georgia zone 8a(zone 8a)

Put a small fern in the center of the stump--they'll grow and hide it until the stump disintegrates.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 10:12AM
duluthinbloomz4

I've got a few of those (stumps) and ferns are good for hiding - I'd go with junco's suggestion. You've probably got ostrich or other native ferns you could dig up and transplant from your woodland area.

The stump really isn't a bad feature - you could even front it with more hosta in keeping with what you've already gotten started .

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 10:36AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Paint it pink, and put the alliums in the middle.

Cut it flat, and use it as a base for sculpture. Something like an Alice in Wonderland mushroom, maybe.

Instead of trying to hide it, I'd definitely use an SEP field.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 10:45AM
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

Yews will grow in part shade if you want something to hide it year-round. Rhododendron PJM is tough and also semi-evergreen.

Camouflage paint in dark brown (it's very non-reflective) could also help hide it, especially if you planted ivy or another ground cover that would cover it in time. It blends really well with most dirt, but is likely darker than your mulch so you'd probably want to test it on the back.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 1:12PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Cut the stump. Put a table on top of it, chairs around. Got it?
Suzi

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:41PM
sc77

If your not going to have it grinded down, understandable, because it is expensive... you should at least get some 1inch x 12 inch drill bits and drill holes strategically around the stump and then use stump rot potasium nitrate, urine (seriously..), manure, or other organic materials... in about 2 years the whole thing will be crumbling apart.

The more ideal way is to put kerosine in the holes and burn it, but it's too close to those other trees and probably your house for you to do that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Stump Natural Removal

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™