Best edging for flagstone walkway? Steel? Aluminum?

collins designMay 6, 2011

Hello-

I am laying a dry-laid flagstone walkway this spring. It's bordered by turf on one side, and against a garage on the other. I'd like to use an edging to keep my base materials from migrating and the grass out as much as is possible. I don't like plastic, and I don't want to use cobblestones down one side only (unbalanced look) so I'm looking for the least visually obtrusive option. Am I right to think metal is the way to go? If so, steel or aluminum? Is the Home Depot stuff OK or should I seek out a better product at my local landscaper supply place? Any tips?

Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Unless one is using very casual/natural materials for a walkway - wood chips, bark, etc. - I believe a rigid edge restraint is absolutely necessary to define/restrain a laid flagstone walkway. I typically recommend or spec an edge restraint that is made specifically for this purpose.

There are various manufacturers but I haven't seen many offered by home improvement stores - they tend towards lawn edging which is an entirely different product. You may very well find what you are looking for through a landscape supply outlet, but in my area, these items are typically available through the same place you get your walkway materials - stoneyards and masonry suppliers.

FWIW, as long as it is intended for the purpose, the material is somewhat irrelevant - rigid plastic/PVC, aluminum, steel..... it just should have a sufficiently rigid structure and sufficiently wide flange(s) for anchoring. And of course sufficient depth to restrain the thickness of all the materials.

Here's a couple of sources for you to check out to see the type of product available:

PVC rigid and flexible edging

permaloc aluminum hardscape edging

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 9:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
collins design

Thank you, gardengal. The permaloc looks like what I was considering. I'll call on Monday and see it there is a local dealer.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Landscape design assistance
Hello, Our home is in Connecticut (Zone 6A) and we've...
stook1
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Feedback on my design/plans?
In a previous thread I asked for general suggestions...
Kristin
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Sponsored Products
Torre Silver Foil Bronze Two-Light Sconce
$243.00 | Bellacor
Plume 12 Light Crystal Chandelier by Baccarat
$12,000.00 | Lumens
Design House 31W x 22D in. Aurora Cultured Marble Single Sink Vanity Top Multico
$296.50 | Hayneedle
Eavan Gray 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Indoor Fan and Light Kit: Designers Choice Collection Orbit 52 in. Brushed Alumi
Home Depot
Vacuum Pump Wine Preserver
$8.99 | zulily
Bella 18/10 Stainless Steel 72-piece Flatware Set
Overstock.com
Varaluz Pendant Lights Clout 3-Light New Bronze Hookah Pendant 140P03NB
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™