MG Fertilizer additions

Joe1980(5)June 3, 2011

Ok, so I have a box of the 24-8-16 miracle grow, that has everything but calcium, magnesium, and sulfur. I use FP 9-3-6 for my houseplants and such, but for the annuals outside, I'd rather not waste my FP. So, to make Miracle Grow complete, I need calcium, magnesium, and sulphur. Can I add gypsum and espom salts right to the water to accomplish this? Gypsum is calcium sulfate, and epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, so with this combo, would I be adding all three? If this is feasable, how much per gallon would I be looking to add??

For what its worth, I have some things in 5-1-1, which does have the lime, so I should be good there, but some are still in nursury pots with who knows what for soil. I also have my bonsai trees, but they are in gritty mix, and pampered with Foliage Pro rain water. I just want to make use of the MG I have, and if it works good, it would be a low cost fertilizer plan for the not-so-important hanging baskets and annuals. Thanks!

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Joe, from what I recall, you would add a single dose of Gypsum - scratched in? -
and then add an 1/8 to a 1/4 teaspoon Epsom Salts to your fertilizer when mixing.

Josh

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 9:08PM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

I set up a container garden using poting soil. The garden using only tomato fertilizer and gysum for the Ca. The MG has a little Mg so no problems. As long as you have the primary and secondary macro and basic micro nutrients your plants will grow.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 10:07PM
penfold2(4b, MN)

The gypsum would ideally be mixed into the entire soil volume at 1 Tbs per gallon, while the epsom salt would be added to your water at 1/4 tsp per gallon. Pretty much any peat/bark based mix will be limed, so there may not be any need to supplement unless the soil is quite old. If the plants are not important enough to warrant using "the good stuff," then I'd just wait and see if they develop any nutrient deficiencies. In all likelihood they'll be fine without the gypsum/epsom.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 10:17PM
Joe1980(5)

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll not worry about it too much then. When I originally made my gritty mix, I was under the assumption I needed gypsum and epsom salts, but because I use Foliage Pro, apparently I bought some epsom salt to collect dust in the shed now. I did add gypsum to my gritty mix though, but know I gather I don't need it.

Joe

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 10:32PM
JVjava

Does the FP 9-3-6 have enough calcium for veggies? Or do would you still need to add Calcium?

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 11:58PM
More Discussions
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™