Question about planting

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)June 3, 2011

I have a rex begonia that needs repotting. I plan on putting it outside for the summer, then bring it in the house for the winter. What type of soil should I use?

I also have a couple of old fashioned christmas cactus that need repotting, same question, what type of soil should I use?

Jenny P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

There are many schools of thought when it comes to container mediums, but in my opinion, and since growing in containers is so different than growing in the ground, I approach it from a more inorganic angle. I mix my own container mediums using the basic recipes found at the link I'm including below.

It's not very complicated, at all, and it's so much healthier for container plants to have a more durable, aerated, free draining soil. It promotes incredibly healthy root growth, and without healthy roots that can function properly, our plants can't grow anywhere near their potential.

Give the article a read... I think you'll be glad you did, even if you don't decide to mix your own medium. The article helps to dispel some commonly thought myths, and gives a lot of very solid scientific information in easy to understand terms.

If, after reading, you still have any questions, we'd be happy to help answer them for you. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention 13

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

Thanks Jodi, that link was very helpful, but I still don't know if I should use the 511 or the gritty mix for these plants. The begonia will be both outdoors where it will need more water retention, and indoors.

The christmas cactus is just indoors,and I am leaning toward the gritty mix for them. Especially since my DH tends to overwater all my house plants.

Jenny P

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™