using railroad ties as a driveway border

wmmalletteMay 15, 2013

I have a gravel driveway that is about 650' long. I am hoping to line the sides of that driveway with Railroad Ties between the gravel and the grass. Ideally, I would simply like them buried to be level with the driveway or maybe an inch or two above grade to help keep my gravel in the driveway area instead of in my grass.

I am looking for suggestions on the best (easiest) way anyone knows to install these railraod ties. I have a 35 HP tractor with a front loader and a John Deere Gator 6x4 UTV. I could rent any implement that could go behind my tractor or anything that could be pulled by my Gator.

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated! I am in North Mississippi.

-Mickey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde(7)

If you're open to renting something, just rent a mini-excavator with a bucket slightly wider than the ties and be done with it. I can't see any attachments for the tractor making sense unless they happen to have a backhoe attachment (and even at that it won't be as efficient as a mini-ex)

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 1:55PM
wmmallette

I didnt think of that. I have no experience with an excavator. I wonder if there is a narrow bucket i could put on the front of a bobcat? Something that would allow me to drive in a forward direction...

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 2:27PM
marcinde(7)

something 18" or so wide? Some contractor may have fabricated one for himself here or there, but I doubt you'll find it at a rental yard. Running a mini-ex is pretty easy. Just assume you'll be slow and get it for the week. After a couple days you'll be looking around your property for holes to dig.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
Need landscape and hardscape plan for mediterranean style home
Remodeling home in RSF and need help with landscape...
nicolefrank
Overwhelmed by new homes
I bought a new home just over a year ago in Northwest...
mistymoon
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
New construction landscaping
I am looking for any suggestions for low maintenance...
lauracrawford28
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™