Not happy with my drainage

lovefirst17June 12, 2013

Here we are again. I have some sta-green potting mix that I used for a pot in pot. The actual pot has MG in it the surround potting mix is Sta-green. I just don't think the MG is draining well despite my wicking and half-burying. I didn't want to, but I think repotting might be a good way to go.

Or maybe not. My plants are growing, looking healthier than at first (after I impeded the slug assault) although my pepper leaves are looking a little sad. I otherwise have tomatoes and strawberries. My herbs are doing just fine in MG but they're in smaller clay pots versus the plastic pots my veggies and berries are growing in.

Or maybe they're draining just fine and they just need to be water less often. I used a plastic knife to go all the way to the bottom (whoops cut a root eek) and the soil is moist but not sloppy or muddy. It is a little compacted though.

Next year I'm going with Al's mix all the way. This is a year of learning for me.:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

L...you and I are both learning about the importance of fast draining soil. At least we finally learned! haha

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:53PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Half-burying? Maybe I am misunderstanding, but doesn't half burying impede drainage and raise the perched water level?

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:06PM
lovefirst17

It was my understanding if I buried the potted plants into a regular bed (keeping the drainage holes of course) the earth below would help the water in the containers to continue their downward travel. Via capillary action. Right Al?

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:10PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

By half burying what you are doing is plugging the bottom of the pot and preventing drainage. By burying a container you now have a raised bed and not a container, and have actually decreased the size of the container and raised your perched water level. You were on the right track with the wick and less watering.

This post was edited by edweather on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:55

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Questions about gritty mix
Hi folks, I am a long time gardener but new to the...
hsw (zone 6, Boston area)
Sponsored Products
Donegal Fabric in Black
$20.00 | FabricSeen
Animalia Elephant Trinket Box
$98.00 | Horchow
DENY Designs Cori Dantini The Secret To Happiness Outdoor Throw Pillow Multicolo
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Kitchen Gastronomy Cocktail Kit - Mojito
| Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Smiley Pink 39" Round
$33.97 | Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Bath Mat: Accent Rug: Garland Rugs Glamor Purple 30 in. x
$36.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™