Growing potatoes in containers

northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)April 24, 2012

Hello everyone: A couple of years ago I planted potatoes in a container. It was on old plastic pail, punched a few holes in the bottom, added some good soil planted the seed potatoes. As the plants grew I added soil until the pail was filled and I had a pretty good crop of potatoes. The reason for the pail was because I have limited and varied amounts of sun in my yard. The pail made my container portable, and I could move it around the yard to maximize the full sun requirement. I have just found instructions for growing potatoes in totes (practically the same idea) but they suggest filling the bag with mulch (they suggested chipped leaves, straw, etc) instead of soil, as the plants grow. This would help me because a large pail of soil gets pretty heavy, and I have lots of chipped leaves from my trees. Has anyone tried 'hilling' with mulch instead of soil? Will it really produce potatoes? Thank you in advance.

Northerner.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes hilling with mulch after the first soil hilling is a pretty standard practice for both container and in-ground potatoes. Straw is the most commonly recommended mulch. Chipped leaves can work but also have a tendency to mat down when wet.

Dave

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 8:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Thank you both, I think I'll use a mixture of soil and chipped leaves which I already have. Now I'm set to go.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 4:14AM
More Discussions
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™