5-1-1 soil mix for gardenia

kandhi(z7VA)June 30, 2011

I have noticed gardenia's do not do well in 5-1-1 mix. I have one gardenia plant in this mix for almost 3 months and it dropped all leaves and aborted buds/blooms. Is this because of lime in the mix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redshirtcat(6a MO StL)

Are you acidifying your water? What is the pH of your tap water? Is it highly alkaline? How are you fertilizing them?

Mine starts out at 9.8-10 (certain death for a gardenia). I acidify it down to ~5.5 with vinegar in the hopes that it ends up around 6 after dissolved co2 escapes. The gardenias I have in the 5-1-1 are flourishing. My 3rd set of buds for the season is about to open.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 3:36AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

While it's good to have your media pH right where it's supposed to be (somewhere around 5.5 - 6.0), a little lower or higher for a few, it isn't as important as it is in (mineral) soils that depend largely on mineralization for the nutrient supply. If you're supplying the nutrients in a soluble fertilizer, and the pH range is reasonable, the plant will get the nutrients.

Where pH does come to play is where particular plants have difficulty limiting their uptake of certain nutrients or elements. We see this in plants that are particularly susceptible to issues with fluoride, so we need to keep pH above a certain threshold. Another example is Pelargoniams, which have issues with their Fe:Mn relationship that requires monitoring of both the media and irrigation water pH for production.

I think you probably need to supply more info before we can make an informed decision about what the issue might be. Fertilizer type? How much lime? Watering habits (first suspect)? Light levels/temperature? ......

Al

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 12:02PM
redshirtcat(6a MO StL)

Here's one of my gardenias in the 5-1-1:

A shot of the soil made exactly as Al suggests including the dolomitic lime. The oversized bark was added to the top for aesthetic reasons:

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 8:37PM
GrnThum

I have a gardenia in the 511 mix going into the 4th month and it is thriving and branching out. My only problem is that it only had 1 bloom all season and has not set any buds after that one flower. I don't think it's the mix but some nutrient deficiency.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 8:48PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I have a gardenia jasminoides radicans in 5-1-1, as well, and it seems to be quite happy.

Josh

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 12:00PM
kandhi(z7VA)

I guess you have convinced me now that 5-1-1 does work for 'gardenia's. Somehow the plant I had in 5-1-1 had root rot and hit the dust. I just bought another new variety of hardy gardenia named 'gardenia -pin wheel' which is hardy to zone 6. I planted it today in 5-1-1 mix, crossing my fingers that it will survive and do good. I have never checked the ph factor for this mix as all my other tropicals (jasmines, hibiscus) are doing very well in this mix. I do add weak solution of foliar pro with each watering. Let me know if I have missed anything else.
Kandhi

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Questions about gritty mix
Hi folks, I am a long time gardener but new to the...
hsw (zone 6, Boston area)
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Area Rug: Chelsea Red 5.25' x 8.25'
Home Depot
Mia Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Ceylon Glass
$445.50 | Bellacor
National Public Seating Science Lab Table 36 Inch H - Chem-Res Top - Dual Book C
Beyond Stores
Interlocking Tile: IT-tile Garage Flooring 20-1/2 in. x 2-1/2 in. Diamond Plate
$10.99 | Home Depot
Nantucket Collection 17 1/2" High Outdoor Wall Light
$83.50 | Lamps Plus
Lightolier 5" Low Voltage Eyeball Recessed Light Trim
$39.89 | Lamps Plus
Hover Lounge Chair in White
$349.00 | LexMod
150W 120V T4.5 E11 Halogen Frosted Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$8.99 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™