Full shade area looking for bush or small tree

bando165May 17, 2013

My front landscape area is about 13 feet wide and 9 feet deep. Most of the area is full shade, getting sun only very late in the day. I have two windows in front of my house and I would like to have something to plant in front of the window that is about 6-8 feet tall to provide some privacy. Currently we have a weeping cherry of some sort but its a the front of the landscape and is rather large and had been neglected for years before we moved in. The tree blocks everything behind it and thus we have removed everything else. We have decided to take the tree out as well as the only thing I really like about it is the privacy it provides to the front windows. I talked to our local nursery briefly and they suggested a hydrangea tree which are quit pricey (especially since this is only a small project of several we have). I love hydrangeas but I'm afraid they won't have enough sun. Any suggestions are appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bando165

Here is the area.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:27PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Your photo didn't show. If you make changes in the preview text you need to reload the photo.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:19PM
annzgw

Need to see a pic, but I would first bring in an arborist and see if the cherry tree can be trimmed/shaped so that it is more appealing.
Instead of hiding your windows and house with bushes & trees, have you considered window treatments that will allow you to control the light and privacy?

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 3:36PM
gardengal48

Usually a neglected weeping cherry is beyond redemption - too many disease issues, too many graft failures. Not worth the effort for two weeks of flowers :-)

The type of hydrangeas trained into tree forms are paniculatas (eg. PeeGee) - these are the most sun tolerant of all the hydrangeas and flowering will be greatly reduced if in too much shade.

I'd look at a standard (tree form) dappled willow - Salix integra 'Hakuro Nikishi' - or a dwarf Japanese maple. There are dozens that will stay within your height requirements (would it hurt to get taller?), they appreciate shade and most have a very sculptural form that makes an attractive visual screen.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Landscape design assistance
Hello, Our home is in Connecticut (Zone 6A) and we've...
stook1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™