Potting mix plant feeding

ajayk6June 6, 2011

I am using Miracle Gro moisture control potting mix in my container garden of peppers/tomatoes. The package says can feed for 6 months. Can I replenish my soil by adding composting ingredients (browns/greens) in small quantities on the top soil every few weeks "DIRECTLY" to my potting soil containing the plants? If so, How long can I keep doing this, as in keep replenishing my soil for reusing the soil for many years?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

No. The material will not compost unless it's in a compost pile of at least three cubic feet. In your pot, it will just sit there interfering with drainage at best, or drawing flies and burning your plants at worst. The MG soil only has enough fertilizer in it to support a tiny houseplant for a couple months at most. You need to feed your vegetables at least every two weeks with a complete fertilizer meant for them.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 10:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Spongey600

i used the same soil last year and let me tell you........NOT GOOD for me! i killed quite a few plants by over watering them! i only had to water like once every 3 weeks at times! this year i am using Sunshine growers mix#4 in 3 of my peppers, and the other 5 are in my own version of Tapla's 5-1-1 mix i used 5-6 parts bark, 1 part cactus mix, i part either sunshine growers mix/ ocean forest. it drains SO nice and dries out in a week or less. i am sure at some point this summer once the plants are in full swing i will have to water daily but that is fine with me. I have an ocean view from my balcony so its nice to pay attention to the "kids" and enjoy the view. just make sure you really pay attention to the watering. and like Ohiofem said you will have to come up with a fertilizing schedule even with the "moisture control" soil.

good luck
Eric

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™