Tomato leaf curl? (pic)

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)June 21, 2011

Most of my tomato plants have some leaf curl. I've read that it could be from too hot, cold, wet, or dry conditions. About all I can eliminate is too cold. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Ironically....I had 1 plant left over, and on a whim I made a SWC for it from two 5 gal buckets. It's doing better than any other plant...go figure.

On a side note...could the light green leaves indicate a need for more fertilizer? Thanks.

">

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lexie1397

I'm by no means an expert, but I remembered reading about discolorations in a book I just got on Terrace (Balcony) Gardening so I looked it up. Sorry-not much on curling that I could recall or find.
The three types of discoloration listed are yellowing between veins, general poor health and new leaves misshapen/discolored. I can't tell from the photo which might be more likely so I'll give what it says on each.
For yellow between veins, she mentions the cause could be mineral or trace element deficiency, or insufficient oxygen around roots. Solutions would be to add fertilizer or organic material, and to lighten the soil mix for better air circulation.
The only cause listed for general poor health is malnutrition, thus the solution would be fertilizer or fresh organic metter.
She lists three causes for new leaf deformations or discolorations. The first is malnutrition, the second is poor light and the third is viruses. The first two have obvious solutions. For viral issues in tomatoes the solution is probably more harmful than the problem, so I'd either let them be or throw them out and try again.

FYI The book I'm pulling all this from is The Terrace Gardener's Handbook by Linda Yang.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 4:35PM
terrybull

Nitrogen deficiency

Growth dwarfed, thin and upright habit; stem and petioles rigid; leaves pale green, occasional purplish tints, older leaves yellowing.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 5:16PM
sprtsguy76(Santa Clara Ca. 9b)

I would fertilize a bit more and stay on top of the watering. Looks like pretty course soil so it drains and dries out fast.

Damon

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 11:37PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Thanks. I'm going to up the fertilizer and water. It has been warm, sunny, and dry for the last few weeks. Luxurious problems!! Now that the plants are getting some size, they drink a lot and the medium is very fast draining. I'm not too worried, they are growing well, and have lots of blossoms. I've never over fertilized a plant "yet." My only 5 gal SWC has a full cup of fertilizer around the top rim, and that plant looks really good.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Can a peat based mix be used for 2 seasons?
Hello - Considering compaction, etc can a peat based...
briana_2006
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Sponsored Products
Uttermost Belfast Crackled Red Porcelain Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Tomato Red Marvel Pot
$9.99 | zulily
Clean Earth - Pureayre Pure Ayre Pet Kit - 3227-4045
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Belfast Table Lamp
$283.80 | Bellacor
Wusthof Classic Double Serrated Bread Knife
$109.95 | FRONTGATE