catch basins full of water

mgdliteMay 9, 2013

Just moved into a house that has three 9x9 catch basins in the back yard. They were full of water; it had been more than twenty-four hours from when I had run the sprinklers. I cleaned one, lots of mud on the bottom, and found a bunch of holes drilled into the base. I'm assuming there is gravel underneath, but I'm not sure if soil has clogged that space.
What can be done to keep the water from staying in the bottom?
I don't want mosquitoes breeding in my yard. Not sure what the previous homeowner did, the house was a foreclosure.
I'd hate to scoop water out every time I run the sprinklers or when it rains.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trovesoftrilliums(5)

Do you see any place where a 4 inch pipe drains? We found our gutters were tied into a drain which was covered by debris and clogged.

I would expect catch basins like that to be connected to drainage pipes that either empty in your yard or tie into a storm sewer. Maybe the drain pipe is clogged up.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigbigblake

Sounds like a clogged up drainage system. I assume inside each catch basin was pipe going off in at least 2 directions? Or were they really just stand alone boxes? If so, that system will probably never work and I would just dig them up and get rid of them. Then if you have drainage issues bring in an engineer to get a decent plan!

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Small Tree Suggestions
I have a 20 x 20 concrete patio that I'd like to put...
kristinainaustin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™