'Days to harvest' info put out by seed companies

neptune24April 24, 2012

Is it just me, or have others planted vegetables that don't seem to mature in the amount of time advertised on seed packets? For instance, a month ago, I planted some radishes. On the package, it said "25-30 days." Does that start from the time you plant the seeds, or from the time they germinate? Either way, the radishes aren't even close to being ready. The leaves have come up nicely, but the "bulbs" are just tiny. I would say that they need at least 3 more weeks. I've had this same problem with other vegetables too. Do seed companies tend to exaggerate how quickly their seeds will turn into mature vegetables?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rodger(8SC)

The maturity dates are guidlines based on grower trials. This is under optimum conditions and it can vary based on weather and your growing conditions. I will say that radishes are a very quick crop and most varieties are going to be in the 30 day range from time seed is planted. If yours are around 30days and are not showing a radish but only a stem they are palnted to close or most likely under stress from poor soil or drought or heat and are not likely to form a bulb at this point. I know that is not what you wanted to hear but it is my assesment. Rodger

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 7:34AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with all rodger said and this is a frequent discussion here so you can use the search button to read more comments if you want.

If your "leaves have come up nicely but the bulbs are just tiny" then there are several possible causes - all of them method-of-planting based and they will not bulb. DTM on the seed packet is nothing more than an estimate based on ideal conditions.

Dave

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 8:51AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

What I find fascinating is that even after many years of growing veggies I had never heard of 'Days to Maturity' before coming on these forums. In the UK seed packets don't give this information at all. I can only imagine that with our variable climate it is well nigh impossible to put a time on when something will be ready, or even when precisely to sow it. For example, I've just picked out a packet at random: Tendergreen bush bean. Sow Mid-March to June. Harvest Mid-June onwards.

As others have said these timings must be based on ideal conditions and your results may fluctuate widely from the ideal.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 10:32AM
neptune24

Thanks for the info, Rodger. I think the most likely culprit is poor soil. Actually, I was given the seeds as a freebie from a seed company, and was just using them to mark a row of parsnips, so I honestly don't care that much whether they form bulbs or not. :) I'll just leave them in a little longer and see what happens. LOL.

OK, thanks, Dave--I may do a search on older posts here to learn more about the problems with radishes.

That's interesting the way they label the packets of seeds in the UK, flora_uk. I think I like that approach. :)

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 7:29AM
More Discussions
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Experiment Results: Growing vegetables in different soil-less mixes
If someone are interested to follow an experiment to...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Identifying garden pests
Dear Experts Could you figure what type of pests are...
zillah2004
cutworms and diatomaceous earth
I had regular problems with cutworms and seedlings....
daninthedirt
Sponsored Products
Accent Rug: Paule Marrot Lima Bean 2' x 3'
$40.49 | Home Depot
Chocolate Hotel New York Flower Sheet Set
$21.99 | zulily
Pre-lit Tinsel Quick Light Copper Slim Artificial Christmas Tree
$499.00 | FRONTGATE
Mid-Century Slope Chair in Aqua
$134.99 | Dot & Bo
Elise Table Lamp by Pablo Designs
$120.00 | Lumens