Retaining Wall Drainage

Trav001May 23, 2013

I have a question about the drainage in the retaining wall we have just built. We placed a drainage pipe along the bottom of our retaining wall and tied one of our downspouts into it. We have two points in the wall for this to drain out from and it can also drain through the pipe itself as that has perforations in it. During a light rain I have noticed that the water from the downspout is draining through the perforations in the pipe and then out through the wall itself. My question is, could this become a problem or should it be draining as such?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde(7)

depends. What's the wall made of?

Unless it's a tiny section of roof, dumping a downspout's worth of stormwater into a perf pipe behind a wall wouldn't be my choice.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:12PM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

Marcinde's point should be well taken.

My drainage engineering consultant would red line/ red flag that type of connection in a heart beat.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:21PM
Trav001

Thanks for responding. They are crestone II retaining wall blocks from Menard's. Concrete another words. You may be right about the downspout but it was either that or have it run behind the wall, on top of the dirt, then drain down the top/front of the wall. The way I ran it, the downspout ties into the end part of the retaining wall drainage pipe with a "T" connector. One direction it goes along the wall and the other it goes to an opening out the wall. This is where I thought most of the water from the downspout would drain.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:34PM
yardvaark

Absolutely don't arrange the drainage like this. You are supposed to be draining the wall, not supplying the back side of it with an abundance of extra water. On paper, Trav, your scheme may "work out" as something that might "fly" okay, but in real life, it won't.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
To Tree Or Not To Tree, That Is The Question
Oh, Spring. That special time when you re-evaluate...
Shan
Need ideas to hide foundation...
Not sure why the picture is upside down... Anyway,...
clevelje
Sponsored Products
Select Luxury Reversible 7.5-inch Medium Firm Twin XL-size Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Area Rug: Springtime White and Red 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
SunStopper Sun Haven 14 x 10-ft. Motorized Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-14X10-MOT
Hayneedle
Petal Pink Area Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Emile Henry Ceramic 2.5 qt. Cassoulet Pot with Lid - 614573
$125.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™