Foundation shrubs

Mark91May 7, 2012

I'll be moving into a new home shortly and the current foundation shrubs are overgrown, spaced, and trimmed unevenly. I was thinking of pulling them up and replacing them with winter gem boxwoods or something similar. My fiance however wants something that will flower in the spring/summer yet retain its leaves during the winter. The area in which they will be planted is partial to full shade. Will rhododendrons remain full in the winter or is there a better option? I surely don't want barren shrubs along my foundation. Your opinions are greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JohnRoscoe(5b)

I think you're on the right track with your original idea. Winter Gem Boxwood would grow well and be neat and tidy.

I'd plant herbaceous perennials in front of the hedge for color. One of my new favorites is heuchera 'caramel', which keeps its leaves and color through the winter here.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 3:12PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

In Maryland, I'd expect a good percentage of the houses would have either rhododendrons or evergreen azaleas as foundation plantings on the north side. Just take a few walks and look. If people are out working in the yard you can ask if they know particular cultivar names.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 4:39PM
whitecap2

Many shrubs can be rejuvenated and reshaped. I think I'd want to know what I now had before I started digging.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 8:46PM
reyesuela(z7a)

Evergreen azaleas would do what you want.

I am in love with winter gem boxwood, though. Compared to them, all other boxwood is an enormous disappointment.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:29AM
More Discussions
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™