New Container-er

MFIXJune 28, 2012

Hi all,

Relatively new to container growing, and just wanted to know about overwintering perennials in containers. I have a peony that was given to me, and had nowhere to put it in our garden, so we put it in a container and it has really taken off! I am building two new, large beds as part of a patio structure, and Im not sure I will have enough time to acclimate it to the new beds. My question is, how does one overwinter a perennial in a container? Outside? I live in Buffalo, NY, so we do have low temps. Or, can I keep it in the garage while dormant in the winter? My current pots are all very durable plastic, so I am unsure of the risk of ice heaving and breaking them. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
howelbama(7 NJ)

The garage may work, or if possible, you can bury the pot to protect it from freezing, and let the snow do the insulating.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 10:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MFIX

Garage may be the way to go. Our ground usually freezes in winter (though this last winter was our warmest ever) so burying the pot may prove problematic, and we also have heavy clay soil in my subdivision, so it may be a really hard proposition. Thank for the advice.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™