How wide are your beds?

marys1000April 13, 2012

Do you make your beds all a uniform width? Or do you say, make a bed wider for cucumbers and squash so they have room and then have a 3' bed for tomatoes, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggity_ma(5 MA)

I use 4' wide beds because the human arm can comfortably reach about 2'. So you can access the entire bed from both sides without contorting yourself or kneeling on soil (which really shouldn't be compacted). Around the perimeter of the garden I use 2' wide beds because they can obviously only be reached from one side anyway.

-Diggity

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 11:47AM
noinwi

I do what Diggity does.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 12:45PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

all my beds are two feet wide and vary in length from 6 to 12 ft.... I leave a 3ft aisle between

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:07PM
barbe_wa

My beds are almost all 4x20 feet. The strawberry bed is a bit wider although I'm cutting it down in size this year and the corn bed is wider, too, to allow for better pollination. The blueberries have a 6x6 foot square bed.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 1:25PM
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

about a meter or 3' or 4'

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens straw bale garden

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 3:51PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Mine are from 7 to 14 feet wide and about 35 feet to 45 feet long. Most of them parallel each other with a foot wide path.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 3:56PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

Mine are all built at different times and with different materials, so they are different sizes.
I have 2 4x8s, 2 3x8s, 2 3x6s and 2 3x3s. All very manegeble. Nancy

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 9:01PM
emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)

39.5 inches wide

(I am short, and my arms don't quite reach 2 feet in comfortably)

~emmers

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 10:40PM
gardenman101(Z6 Spingfield, Ma)

For ease i make mine 4x8, all you need is 3 8'long by 8" deep and cut 1 in half. Very little math and work involved. I do have a few that are 5' wide only cus a managed to salvage 3 10 footers from a demo job, so they are 5x10, but i have long arms so it works. But 4' wide are the most common cus you dont ever have to walk in them.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 7:04PM
georgiahomegarden

I concur with others all mine are 4 foot wide. I have three 4x4's and three 4x8's. That is the width recommended for square foot gardening for many of the same reasons diggity pointed out. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 12:26AM
elisa_z5

Hard to be sure, but by the names, it looks like you may well be a woman, and that most of the responses have come from men, so I'll chime in from an altitudinally challenged perspective. I had always heard the 4 foot wide thing, and my one wood framed raised bed is that wide and I have a hard time reaching the middle. I'm quite short, and a 3' wide bed is just perfect,

Also, it's not clear if you're building raised beds with wood, or tilling and then hoeing new raised beds each year, or maintaining hoed raised beds from year to year. So .. . .with crop rotation you would need to use your wide squash bed for something different the next year any way (unless you till and change beds each year). One way to use a wide bed for something that seems to need a narrower bed the next year (beans, for example) is to plant across the bed in short narrow rows.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™